FINAL EXAM - PREPARATORY ACTIVITY (Internship abroad)
The graduate thesis can be written in Italian or English. In the latter case, the student is required to present at the same time a summary written in Italian.
Knowledge and understanding:
Through the thesis work, the student will experience a real research activity in an advanced structure abroad. Overcoming logistical, linguistic and organizational problems arising from moving to a foreign structure will be extremely instructive for those students who intend to continue their studies or enter a job abroad.
He will acquire the main experimental methodologies and the ability to critically organize research work, elaborate the results and formulate their presentation. The consultation of the scientific bibliography is a check of the acquisition of the skills of learning and processing of specialist articles.
Ability to apply knowledge and understanding
- evaluate similarities and differences between physical systems, experimental data, methodologies to be applied, approximations and mathematical methods to be used
- know how to use numerical codes or data processing programs, or scientific equipment management
- perform Physics experiments with a reasonable degree of autonomy
- statistically elaborate and analyze the results of measurements or simulations
- use the results obtained in the course of one's work to derive representations in terms of the models of the physical system under examination, recognizing the essential aspects
Autonomy of judgment
- critically analyze the methods of achievement, analysis and interpretation of the results obtained
- critically analyze theoretical models and approximations to be used for the description of the phenomena studied in the final elaborate
- identify the most appropriate strategy to solve a problem
- evaluate with flexibility how to apply new tools and solutions already known to problems
- consciously introduce simple elements of innovation in known modeling
- critically use the scientific literature to evaluate which models, methodologies and results to use to address the problem under consideration
- use the scientific language of Physics appropriately
- clearly present, in a synthetic and analytical way, the results and knowledge obtained during the activity related to the final elaborate and the knowledge learned from the scientific literature
-use the most appropriate tools to communicate effectively and incisively the knowledge learned and the results of the activity carried out for the final dissertation
- possess personal skills in logical reasoning and in the critical approach to the issues addressed in the final paper
- be able to gather information independently through research into the scientific literature, mainly in English
-knowing how to acquire new knowledge in an autonomous way so as to be able to face further study paths or a professional activity
To take the final exam, the student must have taken all the exams included in the study plan. The prerequisites include, therefore, all the knowledge, skills and abilities foreseen by the courses of the study course and the carrying out of the training internship (40 CFU).
To complete the Master's Degree in Physics the writing of a Research Thesis is required. The research activity can be carried out at the University of Parma under the supervision of a supervisor appointed by CCSU-Fis. All the Professors of the SSD present as distinct or similar subject areas in the Course of Master's Degree in Physics may be thesis supervisors. The number of CFUs for the research activities of the thesis project is 42. The thesis theme must be approved by CCSU-Fis. The supervisor is required to submit to the CCSU-Fis the Tesi project and to communicate the expected duration.
The drafting of the final exam requires the student to consult texts and scientific bibliography in a foreign language.
The student must inform himself / herself with due notice about the dates of issuance of the Erasmus SMT and Overworld calls and participate in them. The student contacts the delegate of the Department for Internationalization. The internal supervisor contacts the supervisor abroad to agree on the times and topics of the thesis that will be carried out. A document will be signed (learning agreement) between the two locations that will describe the work that will be done and its modalities. After returning from the thesis period, the delegate of the Department for Internationalization will validate the credits obtained during the thesis (40 CFU). The internal supervisor assists the student in preparing the seminar to be held in front of the Graduation Commission.
A commission of teachers, nominated according to the rules indicated in the Didactic Regulations (Article 13 and Annex 4), assists in presenting the final dissertation through slides. Discuss with the candidate the physical principles underlying the work, the context, the results and the conclusions presented during the oral presentation of the same.
At least three days before the date of the final exam, the thesis must be submitted electronically to the Student Secretariat and its summary (max. 2 pages) must be sent to the Secretariat of the Department of Mathematical, Physical and Informatics Sciences . The final exam consists into a presentation to the Graduate Commission of a seminar on the results of the research work. This presentation will allow to verify the acquisition of communicative skills by the student.
On the web page of the Degree Course under the heading LAUREARSI you can access a menu that allows you to find all the information regarding the final exam: the bureaucratic information for the graduates, including dates of the graduation sessions, deadlines and procedures for the presentation of the application for the degree, regulation of the final exam, proposals for final papers and the archive of the papers discussed since 2011, post-graduate orientation.